What would my life be like without Faith, Hope and Charity?
As a young missionary serving in Lincoln City Oregon, I had the wonderful opportunity to serve with one of the most Christlike individuals I've ever known. We got the bright idea (probably her because she was just that good...) to pick a Christlike Attribute daily from D&C Section 4. (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/dc-testament?lang=eng) One day, she chose Charity - because I hate hard - I chose Honesty. (Honesty was better than choosing and praying for Patience - done that, failed.) As we were driving down the one major road in Lincoln City, this person crazily slid in front of us (by slid - I mean careened madly). Her response? "I chose Charity, I'm not saying anything." My response? "I chose Honesty. And that person is an idiot!" It's one of my favorite stories to tell.
I would never describe myself as a charitable person. Kind, yes. Charitable, no. I do believe that I have Faith and Hope. Yet as I've learned more about the interconnection of Faith, Hope, and Charity, I've thought about times when my Faith struggled. Did I have Hope? Did I have Charity? Did I feel Hope? Did I feel Charity? Painfully, I must admit when my faith struggled so did hope and so did charity.
Why were Hope and Charity a struggle? The answer? Faith is my lifeline. Faith is why I keep moving forward. Because faith requires action - it leads to moments when the glimmers of light allow for Hope. Because I have Hope there is peace in my heart and when I have peace in my heart, I am better able to offer Charity.
Maybe when I'm in OR for the Willamette Valley Temple Open House, I'll go down that road again and see if time has allowed me to have Charity. I hope so.

No comments:
Post a Comment