Saturday, May 31, 2014

When the Bishopric says.....

Ella's Diner, Madison WI.  You have not lived if you've never been here!
I was packing for a trip to UT/WI recently when I got a text from a member of the bishopric asking me if he and another member of the bishopric could come visit.  I responded by saying that other than packing I was home so to stop by at any time.

I told them where I was going.  I was headed to UT to visit my dear friends Nate and Jenneye Jimenez.  As a side note: I taught Jenny in the missionfield and since we'd been reunited via Facebook, I'd started attending the ordaining of their twin boys going back to when they turned twelve.  I was also at the meeting where the twins were given a name and a blessing. (Follow this link for more about Priesthood & Priesthood ordinations)  Those boys are now 16 years old. I'd planned on spending a little longer with Nate and Jenn then I had in the past, so from there I was going to stay with my sister and then on to Wisconsin to babysit my nieces and nephews. 

As I explained to them how I hated to travel they offered to leave me with a word of prayer.  I realized this is what they would probably do, but as they left I was concerned I'd conveyed I had a fear of traveling which was not accurate.  I just hate to fly.  I hate, HATE airports.  I always hope the Savior doesn't come when I am in an airport because I am not myself.  In the prayer Bro. Holt prayed that all things  would come together and I would be able to know what to do should situations arise.
After they left I was filled with a sense of panic that hadn't existed before their arrival. 

I was relieved the next morning when my ride came to pick me up without incident, I got onto my flight without incident, I arrived in UT without incident but it was pouring rain like I'd seen in Oregon.   I was still filled with a sense of panic and confusion.  I was confused why 2 good trustworthy men would come to visit and offer a word of prayer as they did and yet when they left I was filled with so much confusion.  I made the decision that they were no longer allowed in my home. 

I was in a rush to leave the airport so I could get to Salem, UT to meet up with a High School friend.  As I got to my rental car kiosk  I could tell the group ahead of me was taking all the CSR's patience.  I prayed I would get the other CSR.  She looked nice and less rattled.  Not my luck.  As my transaction was completing, I explained  my online reservation had included the price of a GPS.  In my case a GPS equals Guidance Protection System, not Global Positioning System.  I am lost without one and I don't have a Smart Phone either.  The CSR tried to talk me out of the GPS asking me why I didn't use my phone.  I showed her my phone.  I looked at her with fear when she offered me a map.  I can't even put a puzzle together, let alone read a map (nice way for me to end up in Wyoming instead of Salem, UT.)  I gently explained the price I was quoted online was for a car AND a GPS.  She called the rental car agency located next to her, they offered to look for a GPS but they were busy servicing their customers as well so it would be later.  She offered to put me in a Suburban that hada built-in  GPS (which thought are you going with: Gas guzzler or my thought "How the heck am I going to maneuver a Suburban when it's pouring rain?") I must have looked at her with fear in my eyes as she chuckled, offered to talk with her boss to see if they could put me in another vehicle that had GPS.  Her boss called down for a "brand new 5 total miles Chrysler Town and Country."  If I would wait 5 minutes, they would have it brought up and I could be on my way.  I had quickly become the group ahead of me and I could tell  people behind me were getting irritated.  I finished the transaction, sat down, looked at the time and realized I'd been at the counter either waiting or being waited on for over an hour.  I texted  my friend that I was delayed and would let her know when I would be leaving the airport with a car. (Emphasis on with a car)
I waited the request amount of time, walked to the designated location for my pickup and waited another 10 minutes.  Finally, the agent said he was going to put me into another vehicle, still a Town and Country.  I'd been completely unimpressed with the lack of enthusiasm or professionalism at this point that I'd lost all patience.  When I got to my "van" I knew immediately that I could not drive it.  The feeling of "peace which passeth all understanding" (Phillippians 4:7) by which I gauge my actions  was  elusive.  I was muttering under my breath about not allowing the bishopric in my home AGAIN!  
I texted my friend telling her I didn't think I was going to be able to make it.  (Sidenote 2: The vehicle that I was supposed to get still had not arrived.)  As I'd waited previously for the first vehicle the group before me who'd taken so much time (oh wait that was me as well) had returned their GPS stating it was telling them there location was on undriveable roads.  I talked with the outdoor agent telling her I was not driving the vehicle and I wanted the one I'd requested WITH a  GPS.  I would take the GPS that had been returned. She told me I needed to go back into the terminal to make the change.  (You DO NOT tell someone who has done customer service for 20+ years it is the customers responsibility to correct there error.)  I informed her she needed to call the front desk and make the change.  After an interchange, she finally called and got it corrected.  I loaded my car, entered the address on the GPS only to have it shut down, I reentered another address and it shutdown again.  By this time I was so mad.  It is not good when I am mad because I start to cry which makes me even more mad.  I was told if I wanted my money back I'd need to go inside to the terminal kiosk.  I was more than willing too.  My plane had landed 2 hours ago!  As I entered the terminal the CSR's eyes got big, she asked me what was wrong.  I told her I wanted my money back.
I walked over to Enterprise where they ALWAYS have GPS's and was on my way in 15 minutes.  I was relieved to have that experience behind me and thankful for the prayer which was offered in my home as I am not one who thinks quickly when situations arise.
As I was driving I received a call from the Advantage rental car agency saying they were having a hard time refunding my money since I was already under contract.  I decided to not do anything about it until I got to Nate and Jen's.

All went well..........

Until I returned my car a few days later.  As I was entering the airport terminal, I noticed my flight had been canceled.  (Flashback: the prayer.  They were not allowed in my home!) I went to the ticket counter, was able to get my flight changed.    I called my sister in WI and told her of the change in plans.  It was still early in the morning but I didn't want to sit in the airport until 2 pm.  I dropped my luggage off at the new airline, called another sister to see if she could pick me up before her husband left for work.  I was unable to get a hold of anyone for over an hour, so I sat in the airport and people watched.  (A past time of mine)  I was able to play with a few little children (Another past time of mine).  When my sister called she offered to come get me.  It was enjoyable to spend some more quality time with my nephews.  However, another reason I  rented a car was to avoid seeing the faces of my nephews when I was dropped off.  I was unable to avoid it this time. (Dang bishopric!)
I made it to Denver only to find out that my connecting flight had been cancelled.  Thus began my journey of cancelled flights totaling 3 flights that day.  Since I haven't had issues flying in a LONG time, I'd been neglectful in packing overnight stuff in my carry-on.  (I don't like dealing with TSA either.  What a hassle.)  When the last flight was cancelled, I had a frustrated sister, upset nieces and nephews and I was almost in tears.  (The bishopric really wasn't coming back to my house.) But I had a brother  who was willing to pick me up which meant I would be able to briefly see his daughters. (Bless the bishopric that prayed I'd be able to find solutions.) It was late when we got to his house, I was exhausted to the point of tears, sick of my clothes and I still had to find a ride to the airport.  He had to get his daughters to school and his wife had to go to work.  We stayed up looking at our different shuttle options.  I was unable to get a hold of the local shuttle service that night.  I woke up early the next morning and was able to get on the shuttle. I can handle wearing the same clothes, but I can't handle having dirty hair.  I got up to wash my hair and asked my brother to check on my flight status.  Trust me, I'd researched the flight path of my AM flight and it was coming from Texas so I wasn't really concerned.....but there was that nagging feeling. As I was getting ready to turn on the water, my brother knocked on the door telling me the flight was canceled.  I have brothers whose soul purpose in life is to torment me so I almost asked him if he was kidding but I could tell by his face  he was not.  So I said what any normal person would say, "I am not dealing with this until I've washed my hair."  I heard him call my WI sister  to tell her of the canceled flight.  I was grateful for his proactive action and overlooked my reaction.  We decided I should still go to the airport and "fight the flight."(My motto.)  R. woke up my nieces so I could spend some quality cuddle time.  It was a joyous 15 minutes.

When I arrived at the airport there was already a line of upset people whose flights had been canceled.  I was in great company.  The ticket agent told me that I was booked on a flight 2 days out.  Since D & T were leaving for a mini vacation the next day two days was not an option.  They put me on standby on for 2 flights later that afternoon.  The same flights which had been canceled the night before.  I called my sister and told her what I'd found out.  We decided not to take chances and I went to another airline and booked a flight for later that day.  (Bless the bishopric.) I would be flying into Milwaukee instead of Madison but it was going to get me there. 
By the time I got on the plane  I was in tears.  I was so grateful for the kindness of people around me.  I was grateful that Heavenly Father in his infinite wisdom was aware of my weakness of finding solutions so He sent 2 of his chosen servants to pray that His child whom He loves would be able find solutions to situations that arose.  I was met in the arms of a loving sister, 2 wonderful nephews, a niece who was happy to see me and another niece who was cautious in her approval of me.  I won her over.

Question:
When the Bishopric calls you to visit the night before a vacation, what will your answer be?

No comments:

Post a Comment