It is hard to believe that it has been over one year since I last wrote. I enjoy the time I spend writing down my thoughts so it has been surprising to me that I went so long without writing.
Shortly after my last post, I was flooded out of my apartment. I'd been working long hours. A co-worker had walked the Susan G. Komen 3-Day Cure and got really sick. I'd chosen to work her shifts; I had one day off before I was to go back to work (I think I'd worked 12 to 15 days in a row) when I came home late to find water coming out my back door. At first I thought it was rain, but there was nothing else that was wet and I the roof covered my door, so how could the bottom be so wet? I was talking with my sister and told her that something didn't seem right. She went to check on something to come back to total silence and a slight moan from me. Two years previous, I'd been broken into twice within 6 months. I guess the voice I held was similar to the way I sounded when I'd been robbed. Robbing would have been easier, I think, than opening my door to find water gushing out and spilling from the bathroom. I'd been in a rush to leave for work that morning. Shortly after my getting out of the shower the HOA'd turned off the water to the complex. I'd turned on the faucet to brush my teeth and never turned it off. (Yes, I did brush my teeth. I had water in my water bottle. Don't worry about bad breath or anything.....) I'd come home 10 hours later....and viewed the damage.
My sweet sister came over to help me push the water out. It took an hour for us to realize this was way over our head. After agreeing to sleep at her house, I sadly and with a heavy heart went to her place. The next morning I called to let my wonderful insurance agents know what'd happened. (I am not being sarcastic. They are great.) I called the hotline needed and arranged for an investigator to come out to view the damage....they were coming a week later after Thanksgiving. I could hardly believe it...seriously. After complaining to my insurance agent, I got that changed to right before Thanksgiving.
I stayed with some friends through the weekend where I got really sick and slept for 2 days. Par for the course for me. I was feeling better halfway through the 2nd day so I went a found a hotel to stay at for the duration....little did I know it was going to be 5 LONG months. The hotel became known as the "mini homeless shelter" or my "halfway house." I figured if I was going to be stuck in a studio apartment with a microwave, bathroom, and stovetop then I had to look at it thru "rose-colored glasses."
To make an even longer story shorter....and in looking back at the time when I felt so alone. I realized the Hand of God in my life. He was there when I picked a good contractor, but one I felt wasn't the one I needed. To a member of my bishopric who had connections that would lead me to a restoration service that I would ultimately hire. They were amazing. From the time I hired them until the time I returned home, they made contact with me daily. They knew how to work with my insurance company to get more money which I would need to finish all the work necessary. He was with me when I laid in bed and I was so sick that I couldn't move. He was with me as I typed the letters my mom had written to my grandparents while they were serving a mission to Puerto Rico. He was with me when I would struggle financially as my car was in need of several repairs and repairs that were needed after I moved back in.
The first night I laid in my own bed, I cried. I cried for the blessings I found while "homeless" for the past 5 months. I found a love for a sister in law who called me weekly to get an update and to encourage me.
How I love my Savior and His Father and Mine, Heavenly Father.
No comments:
Post a Comment