Sunday, October 17, 2010

Clutter

Once a month I teach a lesson in the women's organization, Relief Society.  Today's lesson was on baptism which was a difficult one for me because I considered that everyone there had done it so what could I teach that would different....so I had to take the lesson in a different direction.  The direction I chose to take it in was, "How important is obedience to Heavenly Father if He commanded His Perfect Son to be baptized?"
Obedience has always intrigued me.  It began  as a missionary when I received a letter from my mother reminding me that it was the first law of heaven.  So I will let you ponder on obedience and it's importance to Heavenly Father....but I want to go in a different direction.

It occurred to me that so often in our day to day living that we make it difficult to fully feel the Spirit guiding us.  Why is that?  I have come to the conclusion that it's because we don't bother to clear the clutter.  What clutter?  The clutter in our lives: television, computer, radio, schedules, anything which keeps us from just taking time to listening, from just taking time to let our minds rest.  On the days I've done it I've felt wonderful.  My mind has felt wonderful.  

Today as I completed my lesson (in a record time of less than 1 hour).  I paused to enjoy the sound of quiet music, the sound of the hymns.  It was a half hour well-spent listening to the soft music on the computer and the music of the spirit.

So, this week in your rush of day to day living may you find the time to clear the clutter ... and enjoy the music of the spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment